Saturday, August 13, 2016 • Lynchburg, VA • Course Map
Featuring a course that follows a route along this central Virginia city’s Blackwater Creek Bikeway & Riverwalk, a 14-mile trail that combines both paved and natural surfaces on its route along the James River that flows nearby, the Lynchburg Half Marathon & 5K is part of the Lynchburg Road Runners summer race series of running events.
The out-and-back course for the race starts and finishes at Lynchburg’s Blackwater Creek Natural Area, which looks over the James and nearby Treasure Island, which lies in the middle of the river.
Just over 460 runners crossed the finish line in both races combined at the event’s 2014 running, including 332 finishers in the half marathon alone.
From there, runners follow a course along the bikeway, which includes plenty of shaded, tree-lined stretches, and the race is run entirely on paved surfaces. Runners in the half marathon will start the race at 7:30 AM — followed by the 5K start at 8:00 AM — and they may register on the day of the race.
Race Weather & Climate
Located in the central western part of the state, just over 110 miles west of Richmond, the city of Lynchburg typically experiences warm and sometimes quite hot and humid weather in the late summer season, with relatively even precipitation throughout the year.
On race day (Aug. 13), the average low is 63ºF and the average high is 86ºF.
- 2015 Lynchburg Half Marathon Results
- 2014 Lynchburg Half Marathon Results
- 2013 Lynchburg Half Marathon Results
- 2012 Lynchburg Half Marathon Results
- 2011 Lynchburg Half Marathon Results
- 2010 Lynchburg Half Marathon Results
- 7:30 AM – half marathon
- 8:00 AM – 5K
- $50 for the half marathon, if registered by July 15, 2016
- $60 between July 16 – August 11
- $65 between August 12 – 13
To reserve your spot in the 2016 running of the Lynchburg Half Marathon or 5K race, register online at RunSignUp.com here.
Official Race Website
Ever run in the Lynchburg Half Marathon? Share your impressions here, or post your review in the Comments below.
See these next:
- 10 Half Marathons That Cost $35 or Less
- 7 Keys to Successful Race Training
- Nighttime Races You'll Love