Sunday, May 1, 2016 • Tacoma, WA • Course Map
More than 2,100 runners crossed the finish line in all races combined at last year’s running of the Tacoma City Marathon, which in addition to its 26.2-mile run also features a half marathon, 5K and full marathon relay, for teams of 5 runners each.
Run entirely on paved city streets through this city that overlooks Commencement Bay on the southern end of Puget Sound, the half marathon takes runners through a combination of downtown city streets and for long stretches along the Tacoma waterfront, passing by and through several city parks with views of Mount Rainier off in the distance.
Runners start the race at the Tacoma Narrows Airport, and from there head east along Stone Drive to the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, which they’ll begin crossing just before the mile 2 marker.
Once they make it across the bridge, there’s a big gradual downhill over the rest of the first half of the race, as the course descends from a peak elevation of just over 400 feet above sea level (around miles 4 and 5) to a low of about 10 feet by the time runners reach the mile 9 marker.
The second half of the race, which takes runners along the Commencement Bay waterfront, is among its most scenic and is all flat as runners make their way along the waterfront.
Race Weather & Climate
Mild, occasionally cool weather tends be the norm in the Tacoma area in the early weeks of spring. May is also among the city’s drier months — the area tends to see much more cloudy and rainy weather in the fall and winter.
On race day (May 1), the average low is 45ºF and the average high is 64ºF.
- 2015 Tacoma City Half Marathon Results
- 2014 Tacoma City Half Marathon Results
- 2013 Tacoma City Half Marathon Results
- 2012 Tacoma City Half Marathon Results
- 2011 Tacoma City Half Marathon Results
- 2010 Tacoma City Half Marathon Results
- 6:55 AM – wheelchair start
- 7:00 AM – full marathon, relay
- 8:00 AM – half marathon, 5K
- $60 for the half marathon, if registered by December 31, 2015
- $70 between January 1 – February 29, 2016
- $80 between March 1 – April 15
- $90 between April 16 – April 27
- $100 at the race expo
To reserve your spot in the 2016 running of the Tacoma City Marathon, Half Marathon, 5K or Marathon Relay race, register online at DatabarEvents.com here.
Official Race Website
Ever run in the Tacoma City Half Marathon? Share your impressions here, or post your review in the Comments below.