Sunday, March 15, 2020 • Tucson, AZ • Course Map
Surrounded by mountains and run through valleys lined with cactus plants and the rocky terrain for which Arizona is known, the Arizona Distance Classic Half Marathon, Quarter Marathon & 5K celebrates its 16th annual running in the spring of 2020, as part of the Arizona Distance Classic race event to benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
Described by race organizers as “the most scenic race course anywhere,” this out-and-back half marathon is run through the Oro Valley just north of Tucson, in the shadow of the Santa Catalina and Tortolita Mountains.
From the starting line on Innovation Park Drive (just a stone’s throw from nearby Catalina State Park), the race takes runners northward and then westward, past local sights such as the golf courses of Sun City (including the Sun City Vistoso Golf Course and the Golf Club at Vistoso) and Honey Bee Canyon Wash, which lies immediately below the race course to the south.
Once runners reach the turnaround point near Wildlife Ridge Park, the race turns back toward the finish as participants then run the same course in reverse.
The terrain for the course is paved surfaces throughout, as it is run along Arizona highways and suburban neighborhood streets from the start to the finish.
Walkers and wheelchair participants are welcome at this race (though no bicycles, baby strollers or rollerblades are), and the course will remain open for four hours, organizers add.
Race Weather & Climate
The city of Tucson tends to see mild to warm weather conditions in the early spring, as March temperatures average between 48°F and 74°F. Rainfall is almost nonexistent, as the area sees an average of about 0.77 inches of precipitation for the month.
On race day (March 15), the average low is 50°F and the average high is 76°F.
- 2019 Arizona Distance Classic Half Marathon Results
- 2018 Arizona Distance Classic Half Marathon Results
- 2017 Arizona Distance Classic Half Marathon Results
- 2016 Arizona Distance Classic Half Marathon Results
- 2015 Arizona Distance Classic Half Marathon Results
- 2014 Arizona Distance Classic Half Marathon Results
- 2013 Arizona Distance Classic Half Marathon Results
- 2012 Arizona Distance Classic Half Marathon Results
- 6:55 AM – wheelchair half marathon
- 7:00 AM – half marathon, quarter marathon
- 7:15 AM – 5K
Yes, the race is open to walkers and wheelchair competitors as well as runners. There is a four hour time limit for the half marathon.
- $75 – $95 for the half marathon
- $60 – $80 for the quarter marathon
- $35 – $50 for the 5K
To reserve your spot in the 2020 running of Tucson’s Arizona Distance Classic Half Marathon, register online at RunSignUp.com here.
Official Race Website
Ever run in the Arizona Distance Classic? Share your impressions here, or post your review in the Comments below.