Saturday, February 18, 2023 • San Miguel, CA • Course Map
Described by one runner who ran the race a few years ago as “the most challenging marathon I have ever run,” the Buzz Marathon, Half Marathon, 5K and One-Mile Race sees around 200 runners and walkers cross the finish line in all four races combined each year.
Devoted to raising money to support the athletic programs at local Lillian Larsen Elementary School, the race takes runners through the hills and open spaces of north San Luis Obispo County’s Camp Roberts Army National Guard Reservation, which lies in California’s scenic Salinas River Valley.
The course for both the full and half marathons begins at the Camp Roberts National Guard reservation, which lies about five miles north of San Miguel on California Highway 101.
From the starting line, runners follow an out-and-back route that begins at an elevation of roughly 670 feet above sea level and, over the course of the race, drops to an elevation of about 550 feet before bringing runners back up to the finish line.
Most of that climb, organizers add, occurs between mile markers 4 and 6, so runners get a dose of the steep change in elevation early in the race.
Those who’ve run this race in the past, however, say the scenery makes the challenge worthwhile, as the course levels off after the sixth mile and the beauty of the Salinas Valley unfolds.
Runners (and of course walkers, who start their race 90 minutes ahead of the runners) can expect to see abundant wildlife, lots of rivers and lakes, tree-shaded hillsides, and flocks of sheep who are oftentimes the only “spectators” you’ll find along the serene and peaceful course.
Race Weather & Climate
Located in Southern California, just under 40 miles from nearby San Luis Obispo, the city of San Miguel sees weather that’s typical for the area — warm to hot, dry summers and cooler, wetter winter and spring seasons.
In February, temperatures average between 38°F and 62°F, while rainfall totals average around 2.68 inches for the month.
- 2022 Results
- 2021 Buzz Marathon Results (Virtual half)
- 2019 Buzz Marathon Results (all races)
- 2018 Buzz Marathon Results (all races)
- 2017 Buzz Marathon Results (all races)
- 2016 Buzz Marathon Results (all races)
- 2015 Buzz Marathon Results (all races)
- 2014 Buzz Marathon Results (all races)
- 2013 Buzz Marathon Results (all races)
- 2012 Buzz Marathon Results (all races)
- 2011 Buzz Marathon Results (all races)
- 2010 Buzz Marathon Results (all races)
See the race route map for the Buzz Half Marathon here.
- 6:30 AM – half marathon walkers, full marathon walkers
- 8:00 AM – half marathon runners, full marathon runners
- 8:30 AM – 10K, 5K
- $65 for the half marathon
- $75 for the full marathon
- $40 for the 10K
- $25 for the 5K
To register for the Buzz Marathon, Half Marathon, 10K & 5K, register online at RunSignup.com here.
Official Race Website
Ever run in the Buzz Half Marathon? Share your impressions here, or post your review in the Comments box below.