Saturday, May 7, 2022 • Temecula, CA • Course Map
Runners will need to be ready both for challenging terrain and challenging weather conditions at the Southern California Women’s Wine Country Trail Half Marathon & 5K, an event that bills itself as Southern California’s only trail half marathon designed especially for women, which unfolds along the trails that wind through and around Vail Lake Resort just outside Temecula.
The challenge of the race will come from the course — it will be hilly in stretches, thanks to the mountains of the Cleveland National Forest and the Agua Tivia Wilderness that surround the 11,000 acre resort and winery — and from the weather, as temperatures here in the Temecula Valley region can easily reach the mid-90s this time of year.
The race will start and finish at Vail Lake Resort, which lies just off Highway 79 east of Temecula, overlooking Vail Lake and just north of Palomar Mountain State Park.
From there, runners start the race at 7:00 AM and head onto the trails that wind through the hills around the resort’s wide-open meadows and lakes, and runners will have four hours to complete the race’s 13.1 miles in order to be counted as an official finisher in the event.
Organizers note that you don’t have to run the half marathon if you wish — you can walk it, provided you can finish the full race within four hours. There is also a team portion of the event, for teams of between 4 and 10 runners each.
Race Weather & Climate
Nestled among the wine growing region known as the Temecula Valley in Southern California, about 85 miles southeast of Los Angeles and about 60 miles north of San Diego, Temecula typically sees mild to warm weather in May, while rainfall is very rare this time of year.
- May 7 average low temp: 53ºF
- May 7 average high temp: 74ºF
- 2019 SoCal Wine Country Women’s Half Marathon Results
- 2018 SoCal Wine Country Women’s Half Marathon Results
- 2017 SoCal Wine Country Women’s Half Marathon Results
- 2016 SoCal Wine Country Women’s Half Marathon Results
- 2015 SoCal Wine Country Women’s Half Marathon Results
- 2014 SoCal Wine Country Women’s Half Marathon Results
- 2013 SoCal Wine Country Women’s Half Marathon Results
- 2012 SoCal Wine Country Women’s Half Marathon Results
- 7:00 AM – half marathon
- 8:00 AM – 5K
- $85 and up – half marathon
- $50 and up – 5K
To reserve your spot in the 2022 running of Temecula’s SoCal Wine Country Women’s Half Marathon or 5K race, register online at RunSignup.com here.
Official Race Website
Ever run in the SoCal Wine Country Women’s Half? Share your impressions here, or post your review in the Comments below.