Sunday, January 15, 2023 • Lahaina, HI • Course Map
As its name suggests, the Maui Oceanfront Marathon, Half Marathon, 15K Run & 5K gives runners the chance to run along the oceanside highways of the windswept western coast of Maui, one of Hawaii’s most popular travel and beach resort destinations.
Fast and mostly flat throughout, with a few rolling hills along the 6.5-mile out-and-back course that those running the half cover twice, the half marathon is run at sea level, with views of whales and surfers on the waves out in the ocean just off the coast of Maui.
Though the full marathon starts in Wailea, the half marathon starts and finishes on Front Street in Lahaina, at the finish line where those running the full marathon complete their 26.2 miles. The 13.1-mile course for the half takes runners from Lahaina southeastward along the beachfront, along Front Street and Honoapiilania Highway, down to the turnaround point just past Olowalu and Kailiili Beach.
Along the way, the Hawaii oceanfront scenery is truly breathtaking, as runners trek along palm-tree-lined highways with the green, forested West Maui Mountains off in the distance.
Runners also pass by some of Maui’s most beautiful beaches along the race route, as the course passes twice each through Puamana Beach Park, Launiopoko State Park and Awalua Beach, once on the way out to the half-way turnaround and again on the way back toward the finish line in Lahaina. While the 15K and the half marathon are open to runners only, walkers are welcome in both the full marathon race and the 5K.
More than 1,000 runners crossed the finish line in all races combined in 2016, including just over 550 finishers in the half marathon alone.
Race Climate & Weather
While the full marathon starts in Wailea and passes through Kihei, the half marathon starts and finishes in Lahaina, nestled along Maui’s paradise-like western coast. The town typically experiences mild to moderately warm weather throughout the entire year, and usually sees its rainiest weather in the early and mid-winter months.
In January, temperatures average between 64°F and 82°F, while rainfall totals average around 3 inches for the month. On the day of the race (Jan. 15), the average low is 64°F and the average high is 81°F.
- 2022 Maui Oceanfront Half Marathon Results
- 2020 Maui Oceanfront Half Marathon Results
- 2019 Maui Oceanfront Half Marathon Results
- 2018 Maui Oceanfront Half Marathon Results
- 2017 Maui Oceanfront Half Marathon Results
- 2016 Maui Oceanfront Half Marathon Results
- 2015 Maui Oceanfront Half Marathon Results
- 2014 Maui Oceanfront Half Marathon Results
- 2013 Maui Oceanfront Half Marathon Results
- 4:40 AM – full marathon seniors start
- 5:00 AM – full marathon start
- 6:35 AM – half marathon wave A and 15K
- 6:40 AM – half marathon wave B
- 6:45 AM – half marathon wave C
- 6:55 AM – 10K
- 8:30 AM – 5K
- $135 for the full marathon
- $125 for the half marathon
- $90 for the 15K
- $65 for the 10K
- $50 for the 5k
- price subject to increase at any time
To reserve your spot in the winter 2023 running of Lahaina’s Maui Oceanfront Marathon or Half Marathon, register online at MarathonGuide.com.
Official Race Website
Ever run in the Maui Oceanfront Half Marathon? Share your impressions here, or post your review in the Comments box below.