Saturday, February 12, 2022 • Marion, IL • Course Map
Organized by the River to River Runners club, an athletic and running group based in southern Illinois that hosts a range of 10K, 5K, relay and 10-mile races throughout the year in this part of the state, the Fly With The Eagles Half Marathon is the club’s first race on the calendar each year.
The Fly With The Eagles race arrives in the late winter season for a cold-weather half marathon that takes runners along the roads and trails of the Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge, which lies just to the west of Marion.
From the starting line just north of the wildlife refuge, runners follow a route that takes them through portions of the wildlife refuge’s 44,000 acres.
They’re home to hundreds of species of animals and plants and feature a wide range of lands, including hardwood forests, grazing fields, farmlands and wetlands, especially for the flocks of Canadian geese that spend the winter there each year.
Runners will encounter mostly gently rolling terrain throughout the course as well as two bridge crossings over Crab Orchard Lake, on the way to and back from the wildlife refuge.
Race Weather & Climate
Located near the southernmost corner of Illinois, roughly 320 miles south of Chicago down Interstate 57, Marion typically sees cold and often snowy weather in February, a month that has brought record temperatures here as low as 11 degrees below zero (in 1985) and as high as 79 degrees (in 1982).
On the day of the race (Feb. 12), the average low is 22°F and the average high is 44°F.
- 2021 Fly With the Eagles Half Marathon Results (Virtual)
- 2020 Fly With the Eagles Half Marathon Results
- 2019 Fly With the Eagles Half Marathon Results
- 2018 Fly With the Eagles Half Marathon Results
- 2017 Fly With the Eagles Half Marathon Results
- 2016 Fly With the Eagles Half Marathon Results
- 2015 Fly With the Eagles Half Marathon Results
- 2014 Fly With the Eagles Half Marathon Results
- 2013 Fly With the Eagles Half Marathon Results
- $40 for the half marathon
To reserve your spot in the late winter 2022 running of Marion’s Fly With the Eagles Half Marathon, register online at RunSignUp here.
Official Race Website
Ever run in the Fly With The Eagles Half Marathon? Share your impressions here, or post your review in the Comments box below.