Sunday, October 9, 2022 • Wichita, KS • Course Map
Kansas’s largest city welcomes thousands of runners each year for this run along a fast, flat course that unfolds through the heart of its residential neighborhoods as well as its new, up-and-coming entertainment districts and local parks, and even features a crossing over the Arkansas River.
The race follows an out-and-back 13.1-mile route that starts and finishes in downtown Wichita at the Wave music venue. From there, runners follow a route that first takes them south and then east on an out-and-back stretch along East Douglas Avenue. This section of the half marathon also features the hilliest portion, with a slow incline in the first couple of miles that runners get to coast down when heading west again.
After finishing this out-and-back section, the course is almost halfway done, but there are still new sights to see. The half marathon course crosses over the Arkansas River and continues north along McLean Avenue for the next several miles, hugging the river for this flat section of the course. You’ll cross the river and pass Riverside Park and Veterans Memorial Park, all while coasting to the finish.
The final mile of the race takes runners southward back toward downtown, flat stretch along the bend in the river as they make their way in to the finish line, back where they started.
Race Weather & Climate
Located in southeastern Kansas, roughly 200 miles southwest of Missouri’s Kansas City, the city of Wichita typically experiences mild to moderately cool weather in the mid-fall. In October, record temperatures here have reached as low as 14°F (in 1917) and as high as 97°F (in 2006).
On race day (Oct. 9), the average low is 50ºF and the average high is 74ºF.
- 2021 Fall Prairie Fire Half Marathon Results
- 2020 Fall Prairie Fire Half Marathon Results
- 2019 Fall Prairie Fire Half Marathon Results
- 2018 Fall Prairie Fire Half Marathon Results
- 2017 Fall Prairie Fire Half Marathon Results
- 2016 Fall Prairie Fire Half Marathon Results
- 2015 Fall Prairie Fire Half Marathon Results
- 2014 Fall Prairie Fire Half Marathon Results
- 2013 Fall Prairie Fire Half Marathon Results
- 7:30 AM – half marathon, full marathon
- 7:50 AM – 5K
- $75 – $105 for the half marathon
- $95 – $135 for the full marathon
- $35 – $55 for the 5K
To reserve your spot in the 2022 running of Wichita’s Prairie Fire Fall Marathon, Half Marathon, 5K or Fun Run, register online at RunSignUp.com here.
Official Race Website
Ever run in the Prairie Fire Half Marathon? Share your impressions here, or post your review in the Comments below.