Sunday, October 16, 2022 • Bar Harbor, ME • Course Map
Voted “race of the year” in 2015 by New England Runner magazine, the Mount Desert Island Marathon has earned that title not just by running through one of the most beautiful parks in the nation, but through a tight-knit community surrounding the race and the greater Bar Harbor area as coastal Maine’s tourist season gives way to winter.
The half marathon, which was added to the event in 2013, begins at Northeast Harbor along the coast of Mount Desert Island, then leads runners north along the only true fjord of the Atlantic coast. Runners can spot the pink granite that is characteristic of the area while taking in the views of the area.
The next section of the course features the course’s low point along Somes Sound, followed by an incline through miles four and five, heading up the cliffs of the interior section of the fjord.
The second half of the course features gorgeous views and a slight ascent beginning in the village of Somesville. The high point of the course comes with a mile to go, leading runners downhill for the last 1.1 miles toward the finish line, with some of the most beautiful scenery saved for the end.
Race Weather & Climate
Located along coastal Maine on Mount Desert Island, Bar Harbor experiences cool (and sometimes cold, especially in the early mornings) weather in October, with temperatures ranging as low as 22ºF (1999) and as high as 81ºF (1990). October is also a wet month for Bar Harbor, with just over 5.3 inches of rain for the month.
On race day (Oct. 16), the average low is 40ºF and the average high is 56ºF.
- 2019 Mount Desert Island Half Marathon results
- 2018 Mount Desert Island Half Marathon results
- 2017 Mount Desert Island Half Marathon results
- 2016 Mount Desert Island Half Marathon results
- 2015 Mount Desert Island Half Marathon results
- 2014 Mount Desert Island Half Marathon results
- 2013 Mount Desert Island Half Marathon results
- 8:00 AM – marathon, relay
- 8:30 AM – half marathon
- $85 – $110 for the half marathon
- $100 – $125 for the full marathon
- $75 – $100 for the 3-person marathon relay (per person)
To reserve your spot in the 2022 running of Bar Harbor’s Mount Desert Island Marathon, Half Marathon or Relay, register online at the event website here.
Official Race Website
Ever run in the Mount Desert Island Half Marathon? Share your impressions here, or post your review in the Comments below.