Sunday, July 30, 2023 • Poolesville, MD • Course Map
Filled with rolling hills along the rural countryside of Maryland’s upper Montgomery County, just across the river from Virginia, the Riley’s Rumble Half Marathon takes runners on an out-and-back course that starts and finishes along the historic Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Towpath, nestled along the Potomac River.
This popular warm-up event for the regional marathon events that take place later in the fall usually attracts 500 runners or more each year, so prospective entrants are encouraged to register well in advance of the race before it fills up.
From the starting line at the picnic area, where Seneca Creek meets up with the Potomac, runners follow a course that takes them east and south along the banks of the winding river, along a long, out-and-back route.
You’ll follow the route for the next 6 1/2 miles along the C&O Canal Towpath trail, all the way until you almost reach Riverbend Park and the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park, before making the turn and retracing your steps all the way back to the finish line at the picnic area where you started.
Race Weather & Climate
Located in central Maryland, about 45 miles west of Baltimore and roughly 30 miles northwest of Washington, D.C., Boyds typically sees mild to warm and occasionally quite hot weather in August, which has brought record temperatures here as low as 47°F (in 1963) and as high as 101°F (in 1954).
- July 30 average low temp: 67ºF
- July 30 average high temp: 86ºF
- 2019 Riley’s Rumble Half Marathon Results
- 2018 Riley’s Rumble Half Marathon Results
- 2017 Riley’s Rumble Half Marathon Results
- 2016 Riley’s Rumble Half Marathon Results
- 2015 Riley’s Rumble Half Marathon Results
- 2014 Riley’s Rumble Half Marathon Results
- 2013 Riley’s Rumble Half Marathon Results
- 2012 Riley’s Rumble Half Marathon Results
- 2011 Riley’s Rumble Half Marathon Results
Course Time Limit
3 1/2 hours
To reserve your spot in the 2023 running of Boyds’s Riley’s Rumble Half Marathon, you’ll need to register onsite at the event on the day of the race.
Official Race Website
Ever run in the Riley’s Rumble Half Marathon? Share your impressions here, or post your review in the Comments below.