Saturday, August 8, 2020 • Stillwater, MN • Course Map
This is a race that has a special significance if you’re from one of the two states through which the half marathon route runs, as the “gophers” from Minnesota go to battle each year with the “badgers” of Wisconsin for bragging rights in the Gopher to Badger Half Marathon, 10K & 5K, a scenic running event that takes participants through many areas that will probably look familiar even if you’ve never set foot in Stillwater.
That’s because the town and its surrounding areas have been the filming locations for a number of popular Hollywood movies, including Grumpy Old Men and its sequel Grumpier Old Men, the Coen brothers’ Fargo and 1996’s Beautiful Girls, which starred Matt Dillon and Uma Thurman.
The course itself is attraction enough, however, as it takes runners through the beautiful St. Croix River Valley, whose lower 52 miles are a designated National Scenic Waterway and boast more than 50 public as well as private parks and nature preserves.
Runners will experience a number of challenges along the very hilly 13.1 miles of the half marathon course, which starts in Stillwater near Cloverdale and McDonald Lakes and follows a mostly southward and eastward course through the towns’ historic neighborhoods.
After that stretch, runners will cross the Interstate 94 bridge near the end of the race, which takes them over to Hudson, Wisconsin, for the finish in Lakefront Park.
Race Weather & Climate
Set along the banks of the St. Croix River about 30 miles due east of Minneapolis, the towns through which the half-marathon course runs (Stillwater and Bayport, Minn. and Hudson, Wis.) typically see very cold winters and mild to moderately warm summers.
On race day (Aug. 8), the average low is 62ºF and the average high is 83ºF.
- 2019 Gopher to Badger Half Marathon Results
- 2018 Gopher to Badger Half Marathon Results
- 2017 Gopher to Badger Half Marathon Results
- 2016 Gopher to Badger Half Marathon Results
- 2015 Gopher to Badger Half Marathon Results
- 2014 Gopher to Badger Half Marathon Results
- 2013 Gopher to Badger Half Marathon Results
- 2012 Gopher to Badger Half Marathon Results
- 2011 Gopher to Badger Half Marathon Results
- 2010 Gopher to Badger Half Marathon Results
- $55 – $77 for the half marathon
- $45 – $67 for the 10K
- $35 – $57 for the 5K
To reserve your spot in the 2020 running of Stillwater’s Gopher to Badger Half Marathon, 10K or 5K race, register online at the event website here.
Official Race Website
Ever run in the Gopher to Badger Half Marathon? Share your impressions here, or post your review in the Comments below.
See these next:
- 10 Half Marathons That Cost $35 or Less
- 7 Keys to Successful Race Training
- Nighttime Races You'll Love