Saturday, April 24, 2021 • Nisswa, MN • Course Map
Note: A virtual option is available for this event. Registration details are included below.
Set among the mostly flat and forgiving terrain of Minnesota’s lake country, the annual springtime running of Nisswa’s Run For The Lakes Marathon, Half Marathon & 10K takes runners on a tour of this area’s innumerable scenic lakes and waterways, along quiet country roads and tree-lined forest areas with plentiful wildlife in the woods nearby.
The half marathon race, which follows what is roughly a figure-8-shaped (or snowman-shaped) course that finishes near the Nisswa Community Center on Main Street, starts just south of Lower Cullen Lake along Poplar Avenue.
From there, the course next takes runners between Clark Lake and Rice Lake along East Clark Lake Road, and then heads along the eastern shoreline of Lake Hubert.
After making the turn around the southern end of Lake Hubert, runners will then make the turn towards the north for the final five miles of the half marathon, running north on Camp Lincoln Road and then Clark Lake Road.
Both the half and the full marathons will start at the same time, and half marathon entrants will need to arrive at the full marathon starting line about 30 minutes early in order to board the shuttles that will ferry them to the half-marathon starting line.
While you’re in town, there’s lots of take advantage of in the way of attractions for visitors, including fishing on any of the area’s 465 lakes, playing golf on one of the area’s dozens of golf courses, or even hiking on the 100-mile Paul Bunyan Trail, a paved hiking path that winds through lakes, forests and rivers.
The race is sponsored by the locally based Brainerd Jaycees, and there will also be a relay race for the full marathon as well as a 1K race for kids on Friday night (which is also when the 5K race will be held).
Organizers note that the course is USATF-certified, and the marathon route is a Boston Marathon qualifying race.
Race Weather & Climate
Located in almost the exact geographic center of Minnesota, roughly 135 miles north of downtown Minneapolis, Nisswa typically enjoys mild, pleasantly warm summers and cool to cold springtime weather conditions — and still plenty of snow, even in early spring.
- April 24 average low temp: 35ºF
- April 24 average high temp: 57ºF
- 2019 Run for the Lakes Half Marathon Results
- 2018 Run for the Lakes Half Marathon Results
- 2017 Run for the Lakes Half Marathon Results
- 2016 Run for the Lakes Half Marathon Results
- 2015 Run for the Lakes Half Marathon Results
- 2014 Run for the Lakes Half Marathon Results
- 2013 Run for the Lakes Half Marathon Results
- 2012 Run for the Lakes Half Marathon Results
- 8:00 AM – half marathon, full marathon, relay
- 8:30 AM – 10K
- $50 – $75 for the half marathon (in person)
- $70 for the half marathon (virtual)
- $55 – $80 for the full marathon (in person)
- $75 for the full marathon (virtual)
- $35 – $50 for the 10K (in person)
- $45 for the 10K (virtual)
- $20 – $35 for the 5K (in person)
- $35 for the 5K (virtual)
To reserve your spot in the 2021 running of Nisswa’s Run for the Lakes Marathon, Half Marathon, 10K or 5K race, register online at ItsYourRace.com here.
Official Race Website
Ever run in the Run for the Lakes Half Marathon? Share your impressions here, or post your review in the Comments below.