Saturday, June 1, 2024 • Kansas City, MO • Course Map
Nicknamed the “grandfather of all Kansas City road races” by race organizers and the local community, the hilly and challenging Hospital Hill Run offers runners a choice of running in a half-marathon, a 10K or a 5K, the latter of which is sponsored by the University of Missouri-Kansas City Medical School.
Now set for its 51st annual running, the race follows a long, narrow loop course on a mostly north-south route through the city’s downtown streets and tree-lined park areas, starting and finishing at Kansas City’s Crown Center.
Because it’s Kansas City, the course is hilly — the race features an overall elevation change of just over 180 feet, rising from a low of 812 feet above sea level between the start and the first mile marker, and a high of 995 feet between miles 11 and 12.
Run entirely on paved surfaces through the city, the course features few flat stretches to speak of, and features uphills and downhills throughout, some of which — like the famous Hospital Hill, Broadway Hill and Rockhill Hill — are seriously challenging, past participants say.
Runners will get to run past and through a number of the city’s more scenic areas along the race course, perhaps to reward participants for chugging up and down all those hills! Along the way, runners traverse through Hyde Park, Gillham Park, Brookside Park and Penn Valley Park, home to Kansas City’s Liberty Museum and World War I memorial.
The half marathon, like the 10K and 5K, begins on Grand Boulevard just north of East Pershing Road at 7:00 AM. The finish line lies just a stone’s throw away, also on Grand near the Crown Center.
Expect a good size field when you arrive for the race, as more than 2,200 participants crossed the finish line in the half marathon alone in recent years — out of a field of more than 5,000 finishers for all three races combined — and the event is open to both runners and walkers.
Race Weather & Climate
Located along the western edge of the state and at the confluence of the Kansas and Missouri Rivers, Kansas City tends to see weather in the summer that gets very warm and wet in the early summer weeks. In June, record temperatures here have hit as low as 46 degrees (in 1982) and as high as 108 degrees (in 1980).
On race day (June 1), the average low is 64ºF and the average high is 83ºF.
- 2022 Hospital Hill Run Half Marathon Results
- 2021 Hospital Hill Run Half Marathon Results
- 2020 Hospital Hill Run Half Marathon Results (Virtual)
- 2019 Hospital Hill Run Half Marathon Results
- 2018 Hospital Hill Run Half Marathon Results
- 2017 Hospital Hill Run Half Marathon Results
- 2016 Hospital Hill Run Half Marathon Results
- 2015 Hospital Hill Run Half Marathon Results
- 2014 Hospital Hill Run Half Marathon Results
- 2013 Hospital Hill Run Half Marathon Results
- 2012 Hospital Hill Run Half Marathon Results
- 2011 Hospital Hill Run Half Marathon Results
- 6:55 AM – wheelchair start
- 7:00 AM – half marathon, 10K
Course Time Limit
3 hours, 30 minutes
- $67 and up for the half marathon
- $47 and up for the 10K
- $37 and up for the 5K
- $37 and up for the virtual race
- Prices subject to increase as race day approaches
To reserve your spot in the 2024 running of Kansas City’s Hospital Hill Run Half Marathon, 10K or 5K race, register online at RunSignUp.com here.
Official Race Website
Ever run in the Hospital Hill Run Half Marathon? Share your impressions here, or post your review in the Comments below.