Saturday, March 21, 2020 • Wilmington, NC • Course Map
Set for its 11th annual running this year, the NHRMC Wilmington Marathon Madness Marathon & Half Marathon (formerly known as the Wrightsville Beach Marathon & Half Marathon) takes runners along a route that winds through a number of coastal communities here on Wrightsville Beach, one of North Carolina’s coastal resort areas that features ample opportunities for golf, tennis, shopping and dining, and lies just a few miles from nearby Wilmington, N.C.
Both the full and the half marathons share the same starting line on Wrightsville Beach’s Salisbury Street, overlooking the calm waters of the intracoastal waterway that lies between the North Carolina mainland and the Atlantic Ocean.
From there, runners follow a point-to-point course that takes them through some of the area’s most sought-after neighborhoods, most notably the community known as Landfall, all the way to the finish line in nearby downtown Wilmington.
From the start on Salisbury Street, runners follow the route westward toward the mainland and merges onto Causeway Drive, where runners cross the bridge over the causeway and make their way onto the mainland. From there, they follow Eastwood Road as the route turns onto Highway 74. Runners follow this road for much of the course’s remainder before turning into downtown Wilmington.
Much of the course is fast and flat, with elevation reaching a high point of 60 feet above sea level, making this half marathon a good choice for runners wishing to set personal records.
More than 2,300 runners crossed the finish line in the full marathon and half marathon combined in 2016, including just over 1,800 finishers in the half marathon.
Race Weather & Climate
Located along the coast of southern North Carolina, roughly 10 miles from Wilmington further inland, Wrightsville Beach typically experiences mild to moderately cool and sometimes cold weather in early spring, with generally drier weather than in the summer. In March, temperatures average between 44°F and 66°F, while rainfall amounts average just over 4.2 inches for the month.
On race day (March 21), the average low is 42°F and the average high is 68°F.
- 2019 NHRMC Wrightsville Beach Half Marathon Results
- 2018 NHRMC Wrightsville Beach Half Marathon Results
- 2017 Quintiles Wrightsville Beach Half Marathon Results
- 2016 Quintiles Wrightsville Beach Half Marathon Results
- 2015 Quintiles Wrightsville Beach Half Marathon Results
- 2014 Quintiles Wrightsville Beach Half Marathon Results
- 2013 Quintiles Wrightsville Beach Half Marathon Results
- 2012 Quintiles Wrightsville Beach Half Marathon Results
- 2011 Quintiles Wrightsville Beach Half Marathon Results
- 7:00 AM – full marathon, half marathon
- $65 – $105 for the half marathon
- $80 – $120 for the full marathon
- $25 – $40 for the 5K
- $15 – $20 for the 1 mile run
To reserve your spot in the late winter/early spring 2020 running of the NHRMC Wilmington Marathon Madness Half Marathon, register online at RunSignUp.com here.
Official Race Website
Ever run in the NHRMC Wilmington Marathon Madness Half Marathon? Share your impressions here, or post your review in the Comments below.