Sunday, July 4, 2021 • Portland, OR • Course Map
Note: A virtual option is available for this event, to be run anytime from July 3 to July 15. Registration details are included below.
More than 2,000 runners come out to compete each year in the annual summertime running of Portland’s Foot Traffic Flat Marathon, Half Marathon, 10K and 5K, which is billed as one of the West Coast’s flattest and fastest marathon and half marathon road running events.
Runners get the chance to record a fast personal record times on this course, which is run through the wilderness of Sauvie Island, a 12,000+ acre island just to the northwest of Portland that is a seasonal home to thousands of migratory waterfowl and a popular local destination for hiking, biking, fishing, hunting, birdwatching and for its beaches.
The full and half marathon races are run on the same loop course through the island — those running the half marathon run in a single time, while those running the full follow the course a second time around the island.
From the starting line at the Sauvie Island Pumpkin Patch, the course takes runners on a clockwise loop around the island, down Gillihan Road and up North Sauvie Island Road.
Runners turn right onto Reeder Road and head northwest along the paved road, detouring for a brief stretch along Oak Island Road and then back onto Reeder for the next few miles.
Once Reeder meets up with Gillihan Road, runners have hit the final third of the race, which takes the field along the bottom half of the loop back to the starting line at the Pumpkin Patch.
Along the way, runners can expect to see local wildlife ranging from cows and songbirds to the bald eagles that commonly fly through the island’s skies, and to see Mount Hood and Mount St. Helens off in the distance if conditions are clear enough.
Race Weather & Climate
Located in northwest Oregon, on the dry side of the Cascade Mountain range, Portland experiences far more sun and mild to moderately warm weather in the summer than in the fall and winter months, when colder, grayer and rainier weather conditions are much more common.
On race day (July 4), the average low is 56ºF and the average high is 77ºF.
- 2019 Foot Traffic Flat Half Marathon Results
- 2018 Foot Traffic Flat Half Marathon Results
- 2016 Foot Traffic Flat Half Marathon Results
- 2015 Foot Traffic Flat Half Marathon Results
- 2014 Foot Traffic Flat Half Marathon Results
- 2013 Foot Traffic Flat Half Marathon Results
- 2012 Foot Traffic Flat Half Marathon Results
- 2011 Foot Traffic Flat Half Marathon Results
- 5:30 AM – full marathon early start
- 6:15 AM – full marathon late start
- 6:30 AM – half marathon, quarter marathon (wave start)
- 7:25 AM – 5K
- $84 and up for the half marathon
- $90 and up for the full marathon
- $68 and up for the quarter marathon
- $39 and up for the 5K
- $40 and up for the virtual race
To reserve your spot in the 2021 running of Portland’s Foot Traffic Flat Marathon, Half Marathon, 10K or 5K race, register online at Eventbrite.com here.
Official Race Website
Ever run in the Foot Traffic Flat Half Marathon? Share your impressions here, or post your review in the Comments below.