Sunday, December 4, 2022 • State College, PA • Course Map
First run in 1984 as part of the final running of the Nittany Valley Marathon, the Nittany Valley Half Marathon has since blossomed into one of the region’s most popular road races, drawing several hundred runners each year.
The race, which is open to both runners and walkers, remains open to traffic throughout the event, so participants need to be aware of their surroundings as well as the 3-hour time limit for the event.
The terrain for the half-marathon is a mixture of paved roadways and gravel surfaces along both suburban and rural roads, and unfolds across mostly flat ground for much of the course – though certainly not all of it.
The total elevation change throughout the 13.1-mile course amounts to roughly 300 feet, and includes some seriously challenging hills.
There is a long and steep downhill immediately after mile 7 known as the Red Rock Ravine, two difficult uphill stretches right after miles 9 and 10, and what race organizers describe as a “final, soul-crushing” uphill just before the race finish line. As the event’s website puts it, “this is where the praying starts.”
Needless to say, heed the race organizers’ helpful hints not to start out too fast and to keep pace with fellow runners who share your own comfortable speed, to help make sure you don’t run out of gas for the last brutal mile of the race.
All photos courtesy Nittany Valley Half Marathon
Race Weather & Climate
The weather in this central Pennsylvania town can vary widely in the last weeks of fall. Though average area temperatures for December range between 24°F and 37°F, the weather can be much warmer in State College at this time of year. Also come prepared for wet weather, as precipitation averages about 2.84 inches for the month.
- December 4 average low temp: 33°F
- December 4 average high temp: 40°F
- 2021 Nittany Valley Half Marathon results
- 2019 Nittany Valley Half Marathon Results
- 2018 Nittany Valley Half Marathon Results
- 2017 Nittany Valley Half Marathon Results
- 2016 Nittany Valley Half Marathon Results
- 2015 Nittany Valley Half Marathon Results
- 2014 Nittany Valley Half Marathon Results
- 2013 Nittany Valley Half Marathon Results
- 2012 Nittany Valley Half Marathon Results
- 2011 Nittany Valley Half Marathon Results
- 2010 Nittany Valley Half Marathon Results
$35 and up
To reserve your spot in the 2022 running of State College’s Nittany Valley Half Marathon, register online at RunReg.com here.
Official Race Website
Ever run in the Nittany Valley Half Marathon? Share your impressions here, or post your review in the Comments box below.