Saturday, Dec. 31, 2022 & Sunday, Jan. 1, 2023 • Allen, TX • Course Map
Note: A virtual option is available for this event, to be run anytime from December 20 to January 10. Registration details are included below.
After its inaugural running a few years back through this northern suburb of Dallas in North Texas, the New Year’s Day Half Marathon expanded to feature a full, 26.2-mile marathon, two-person half marathon relay and a 5K in addition to the individual half marathon, for a race that’s now called the New Years Double Marathon, Half Marathon & 5K.
Runners will follow an out-and-back course that starts in Allen’s Celebration Park and takes runners along the paved walking, running and biking trails that both wind through the park and extend outside the park and into the neighborhoods beyond the park, roughly in parallel with the Angel Parkway.
Those running the half marathon will run the 6.55-mile course twice, while those running the full marathon will make four loops around the course.
The race is open to both runners and walkers and features a 6-hour time limit for all race distances, which means that walkers especially should have plenty of time to complete the race no matter which distance they choose.
The course is set to be certified by USA Track & Field, and organizers plan to have three aid stations set up out on the course — at the start/finish line area, a second station in Celebration Park, and a third station at the turnaround point near Country Brook Lane.
Interested in participating? You’re encouraged to sign up early, as the 5K is limited to 500 runners on each day, while the half and full marathons are limited to 300 runners in the Eve race and 300 in the day race (210 for the full marathon, 90 in the half). You can combine races too, by say running the 5K one day and the half marathon the next, or the full marathon one day and the 5K the next. See the race website for full details.
Race Weather & Climate
Located in the northeastern part of the state, just over 20 miles north of Dallas, the city of Allen typically experiences cold to moderately cool weather in the early winter.
In December, temperatures range between 34°F and 55°F — on the day of the race (Jan. 1), the average low is 31°F and the average high is 52°F — while precipitation totals average just over 3.2 inches for the month.
- 2021 New Year’s Double Half Marathon Overall Results
- 2020 New Year’s Double Half Marathon Overall Results
- 2018 Day Half Marathon Overall Results
- 2017 Day Half Marathon Overall Results
- 2016 Eve Half Marathon Overall Results
- 2016 Day Half Marathon Overall Results
- 2015 Eve Half Marathon Overall Results
- 2015 Day Half Marathon Overall Results
- 2014 Eve Half Marathon Overall Results
- 2013/2014 Half Marathon Overall Results
- 2012/2013 Half Marathon Overall Results
- 2011/2012 Half Marathon Overall Results
- 7:00 AM – 5K
- 8:30 AM – half marathon, full marathon
- $80 – $110 for the half marathon or full marathon (per day)
- $45 – $50 for the 5K (per day)
- $40 – $50 for the virtual race
To reserve your spot in either the 2022 New Year’s Eve or the 2023 New Year’s Day Double Half Marathon, register online at Athlete360.com here.
Official Race Website
Ever run in the New Year’s Double Half Marathon? Share your impressions here, or post your review in the Comments box below.