Saturday, March 16, 2024 • Moab, UT • Course Map
Runners get the chance to run in the shadow of the majestic red rock formations of Utah’s Arches National Park at the Canyonlands Half Marathon & 5-Mile Run, which will celebrate its 47th annual running as winter is giving way to spring.
Related Race: The Salt Lake City Marathon & Half Marathon on April 22, 2023
Now one of the Moab area’s most popular outdoor athletic events, the race has seen its field of runners grow from just 22 (including a dog) at its first running to more than 2,700 finishers in the half marathon and 5-mile races combined in 2015, thanks in large part to the stunning red rock scenery that lines the course.
Set at a moderate elevation of about 4,000 ft., the half is run on a USATF-certified and sanctioned course that offers a challenging mix of rolling hills and fast descents.
Beginning approximately 11 miles up Highway 128 outside of Moab, the first mile of the race goes east of the start line before following the paved highway road as it winds through the beautiful red rock canyons carved by the Colorado River.
Two miles from the finish, the road exits the red-walled canyon and continues on Highway 191 and through the streets of Moab to the finish line in Lions Park, where refreshments, live music, and post-race massages await the finishers. Participation is limited to the first 5,000 entries for the half marathon and accompanying 5-miler.
While a lottery has been used in the past to allot spaces in the half marathon, organizers note, there will be no lottery for this year’s race — all spots will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, so runners thinking of signing up for this race are strongly encouraged to register as early as possible.
Race Weather & Climate
Located just miles from Canyonlands National Park in southeastern Utah, roughly 230 miles southeast of Salt Lake City, Moab typically sees March temperatures that average between 35°F and 63°F, while rainfall is usually scarce year-round, averaging just under an inch for the month.
On the day of the race (March 16), the average low is 36°F and the average high is 65°F.
- 2023 Results
- 2022 Canyonlands Half Marathon Results
- 2021 Canyonlands Half Marathon Results
- 2019 Canyonlands Half Marathon Results
- 2018 Canyonlands Half Marathon Results
- 2017 Canyonlands Half Marathon Results
- 2016 Canyonlands Half Marathon Results
- 2015 Canyonlands Half Marathon Results
- 2014 Canyonlands Half Marathon Results
- 2013 Canyonlands Half Marathon Results
- 2012 Canyonlands Half Marathon Results
- 2011 Canyonlands Half Marathon Results
- 2010 Canyonlands Half Marathon Results
- 8:15 AM – half marathon
- 8:35 AM – 5-mile run
- $115 and up for the half marathon
- $85 and up for the 5-miler
- $65 and up for the virtual half marathon
- prices subject to increase as race day approaches
To reserve your spot in the spring 2024 running of Moab’s Canyonlands Half Marathon or 5-Mile race, register online at UltraSignup.com here.
Official Race Website
Ever run in the Canyonlands Half Marathon? Share your impressions here, or post your review in the Comments below.