Saturday, September 9, 2023 • Douthat SP, VA • Course Map
Run along a series of trails that take runners through Virginia’s Douthat State Park, set in the heart the Allegheny Mountains, the Odyssey Trail Half Marathon offers a challenging 13.1-mile course with steep uphills and fast downhills as well as stretches along creeks and waterfalls.
The race also takes the field of runners along brief stretches through Rhododendron-covered tunnels that unfold along the trails inside the 4,493-acre park.
The course follows an out-and-back loop trail through the park’s 43 miles of hiking trails, and the race day’s events will also include a full (26.2-mile) marathon as well as a 6-miler and a 40-mile “ultra” trail run.
Runners will start and finish the half marathon near Douthat Lake in the center of the park, and follow trails such as the Backway Hollow Trail, Huff Trail, Middle Hollow Trail, Blue Suck Falls Trail and the Tuscarora Overlook Trail on their route through the park’s many hills and hollows.
Overall, runners will also experience some significant changes in elevation, as the route experiences a total elevation gain and loss of about 5,400 feet over the course of the race.
Participants will need to bring money on the day of the race for the park entrance fee, and they can also expect to encounter local wildlife along the trails, from squirrels, snakes and rabbits to the occasional wild turkey, whitetail deer and perhaps even a black bear.
The park is located just a few miles north of the town of Clifton Forge, Va.
Race Weather & Climate
Located between two mountain ranges in Virginia’s Allegheny Highlands, Douthat State Park is known for its generally mild winters and warm, humid summers.
On race day (Sept. 9), the average low is 56ºF and the average high is 79ºF.
- 2022 Results
- 2019 Odyssey Trail Running Rampage Half Marathon Results
- 2018 Odyssey Trail Running Rampage Half Marathon Results
- 2017 Odyssey Trail Running Rampage Half Marathon Results
- 2016 Odyssey Trail Running Rampage Half Marathon Results
- 2014 Odyssey Trail Running Rampage Half Marathon Results
- 2013 Odyssey Trail Running Rampage Half Marathon Results
- 2012 Odyssey Trail Running Rampage Half Marathon Results
- 2011 Odyssey Trail Running Rampage Half Marathon Results
- 7:00 AM – 40-mile ultra
- 8:30 AM – full marathon
- 10:00 AM – half marathon
- 11:30 AM – 6-miler
- $60 – $80 for the half marathon
- $80 – $100 for the ultra marathon
- $70 – $90 for the full marathon
- $40 – $60 for the 6-miler
To reserve your spot in the half marathon at the 2023 running of Virginia’s Odyssey Trail Running Rampage, register online at RaceRoster.com here.
Official Race Website
Ever run in the Odyssey Trail Running Rampage? Share your impressions here, or post your review in the Comments below.