Saturday, March 18, 2023 • Sedalia, VA • Course Map
After nearly a ten-year hiatus since its last running along the trails and mountain ridges just to the north of the central Virginia community of Sedalia, the Terrapin Mountain Half Marathon was resurrected in the spring of 2008.
In 2014, just over 40 runners completed the half and 50K races combined, along the trails that ascend and run atop Terrapin Mountain, Camping Gap and White Oak Ridge.
Organized by eco-x Sports and part of the Virginia-based trail race series known as the Beast Series, this out-and-back race starts and finishes in Sedalia at the Sedalia Center, which lies near the entrance to the George Washington National Forest, part of the Blue Ridge Mountains and not far from the Blue Ridge Parkway that runs along the mountains nearby.
After a brief stretch along the gravel surface roads Charlemont Road and Sedalia School Road, runners then head up into the steep climbs and switchbacks along the trails that take them up into the mountains, where they’ll experience an overall elevation change during the course of the race of about 3,250 feet.
Those running the half marathon follow a single loop along the race trail, following along White Oak Ridge and Camping Gap up onto the ridge trails along Terrapin Mountain, in a roughly clockwise direction along the mountain.
The course takes a brief out-and-back detour onto Terrapin Mountain Road before heading down along the side of the mountains back to Reed Creek Road and Sedalia School Road for the last stretch back to the finish line.
Runners will have a course time limit of 9 hours for both races.
Race Weather & Climate
Located in the hilly and mountainous central part of the state, about an hour’s drive northeast of Roanoke, Sedalia lies just a few miles from nearby Big Island, Va., which typically experiences cool to cold weather in the early spring, and steady precipitation year-round.
In March, temperatures average between 59°F and 30°F, while precipitation totals average just over 3.1 inches for the month. On the day of the race (March 18), the average low is 31ºF and the average high is 59ºF.
- 2022 Half Marathon Results
- 2021 Terrapin Mountain Half Marathon Results
- 2019 Terrapin Mountain Half Marathon Results
- 2018 Terrapin Mountain Half Marathon Results
- 2017 Terrapin Mountain Half Marathon Results
- 2016 Terrapin Mountain Half Marathon Results
- 2015 Terrapin Mountain Half Marathon Results
- 2014 Terrapin Mountain Half Marathon Results
- 2013 Terrapin Mountain Half Marathon Results
- 2012 Terrapin Mountain Half Marathon Results
- 2011 Terrapin Mountain Half Marathon Results
- 2010 Terrapin Mountain Half Marathon Results
- 2009 Terrapin Mountain Half Marathon Results
- 2008 Terrapin Mountain Half Marathon Results
- $75 – $95 for the half marathon
- $95 – $125 for the 50K
To reserve your spot in the early spring 2023 running of Sedalia’s Terrapin Mountain Half Marathon or 50K race, visit the event website below.
Official Race Website
Ever run in the Terrapin Mountain Half Marathon? Share your impressions here, or post your review in the Comments below.