Saturday, June 15, 2024 • Friday Harbor, WA • Course Map
Washington state’s San Juan Islands draw travelers by the thousands each year to view the islands’ beautiful seashores, nature trails and wildlife (including killer whales), and welcomes runners back for the annual San Juan Island Marathon, Half Marathon and 10K races.
The course for the half marathon, a hilly race (especially in the route’s first six miles) that features changes in elevation from 25 feet to over 250 feet above sea level, starts and finishes at Lakedale Resort overlooking Neva Lake and Dream Lake.
From there, the race follows a clockwise loop around the island, unfolding along Roche Harbor Road, Beaverton Valley Road, West Valley Road and then again on Roche Harbor Road before turning in to Lakedale Resort again to cross the race finish line.
The course ventures out largely along city streets, twisting and turning through town onto country roads for the latter part of the race.
In the half marathon course’s somewhat less-hilly second half, runners are treated to scenic views of the island’s farmland, lakes and forests, and then return back to the fairgrounds for the finish. For participants in the half marathon (which is open to both runners and walkers), the race begins at 9:00 AM.
Race Weather & Climate
Tucked into the corner of the state just south of the Canadian city of Vancouver, the San Juan Islands experience generally cool to mild weather in the summer, as average monthly temperatures in Friday Harbor range between 67°F and 48°F in June, with just under 1.3 inches of rainfall for the month.
- June 15 average low temp: 50°F
- June 15 average high temp: 65°F
- 2022 Half Marathon Results
- 2019 San Juan Island Half Marathon Results
- 2018 San Juan Island Half Marathon Results
- 2017 San Juan Island Half Marathon Results
- 2016 San Juan Island Half Marathon Results
- 2015 San Juan Island Half Marathon Results
- 2014 San Juan Island Half Marathon Results
- 2013 San Juan Island Half Marathon Results
- 2012 San Juan Island Half Marathon Results
- 7:30 AM – full marathon
- 9:00 AM – half marathon
- 9:10 AM – 10K
- $85 and up – half marathon
- $90 and up – full marathon
- $60 and up – 10K
To reserve your spot in the 2024 running of Friday Harbor’s San Juan Island Marathon, Half Marathon or 10K race, register online at RunSignUp.com here.
Official Race Website
Ever run in the San Juan Island Half Marathon? Share your impressions here, or post your review in the Comments below.