Sunday, November 6, 2022 • Huntington, WV • Course Map
If you’ve ever seen the Matthew McConaughey-Matthew Fox film “We Are Marshall,” then you have an excellent picture of what the Marshall University Marathon & Half Marathon is like for the thundering herd of runners along its green, tree-lined campus and the surrounding city — a fast and largely flat run that race organizers say makes a “perfect” qualifying run for the Boston Marathon.
Beginning at the university’s Cam Henderson Center on the edge of campus at 3rd Avenue and 20th Street, the 13.1-mile race course for the half-marathoners follows the full marathon; participants in the full marathon run the half marathon course twice.
Run entirely on paved city streets, the course takes runners across only a few gentle hills, in the early part of the course at 12th Street and around the 9-mile marker.
Along the way, runners and walkers — the race welcomes both runners and walkers in the half marathon and 5-mile races — will pass through some of downtown Huntington’s sights including Harris Riverfront Park and the Memorial Arch, near Ritter Park.
And as the course approaches the finish line back near the Cam Henderson Center, it takes participants straight through the Marshall University campus, and past the John Marshall Statue seen in the movie.
In a tribute to the university’s football team, participants finish at the goal line of Marshall’s Joan C. Edwards Football Stadium, and are given the option to carry a football with them on the last 100 yards to the finish if they like.
The race course will remain open to traffic throughout the 6-hour time limit for the race, though it will be sectioned off from auto traffic to ensure runner safety.
Race Weather & Climate
Set along the banks of the Ohio River in the southwestern part of the state, the city of Huntington generally experiences mild to cool and sometimes cold weather in the mid-fall season, with occasional showers.
On race day (Nov. 6), the average low is 38ºF and the average high is 61ºF.
- 2021 Marshall University Half Marathon Results
- 2019 Marshall University Half Marathon Results
- 2018 Marshall University Half Marathon Results
- 2017 Marshall University Half Marathon Results
- 2016 Marshall University Half Marathon Results
- 2015 Marshall University Half Marathon Results
- 2014 Marshall University Half Marathon Results
- 2013 Marshall University Half Marathon Results
- 2012 Marshall University Half Marathon Results
- 2011 Marshall University Half Marathon Results
- 7:00 AM – full marathon, half marathon
- 7:15 AM – 5K
- $80 – $110 for the half marathon
- $100 – $130 for the full marathon
- $20 – $30 for the 5K
- discount available for members of the armed forces
To reserve your spot in the 2022 running of the Marshall University Marathon or Half Marathon, register online at the official website below.
Official Race Website
Ever run in the Marshall University Half Marathon? Share your impressions here, or post your review in the Comments below.