Saturday, May 13, 2023 • Moab, UT • Course Map
Home to many of the American Southwest’s most iconic places, from the awe-inspiring rock formations of Arches National Park to the mesas, mountains and rivers that carve ribbon-like canyons through the dry rock of Canyonlands National Park, Moab is often thought of as the nation’s outdoor paradise, a mecca for mountain bikers, trail runners and adventure sports enthusiasts of all stripes.
Combine all of that scenery with memories of the classic 1991 movie starring Geena Davis and Susan Sarandon and you get the Thelma & Louise Marathon, Half Marathon and Relay, a race organized by the race management company that stages the Moab Other Half Marathon and Canyonlands Half Marathon each year.
Designed especially for women runners of all ages, the race will also benefit a pair of charitable organizations that support women and girls — Girls on the Run and the Seekhaven Family Crisis Center, a shelter for victims of domestic violence in southeastern Utah.
Half marathon runners are set to start the race at 7:30 AM Mountain Time at the remote Behind the Rocks Trail just outside Moab, along Highway 191. From there, the course follows the trail on a loop course, taking runners along dirt road, slickrock, and some sandy washes with mountain views and ups and downs throughout the entire course.
From the finish line area runners and their friends and families will get to take in the panoramic views of the La Sal Mountains in the distance during the post-race festivities.
The course time limit for the race is 3 hours, 30 minutes, which means runners will need to keep a pace of about 16 minutes per mile or better in order to finish within the official race time. The race is open to women only as participants, but their husbands, sons, uncles, fathers and boyfriends are welcome to volunteer at the aid stations, race start and race finish lines.
Race Weather & Climate
Located along the Colorado River in southeastern Utah, about 100 miles southwest of Grand Junction, Colo., and roughly 230 miles southeast of Salt Lake City, Moab typically sees low rainfall year-round and very little in May.
On race day (May 13), the average low is 55°F and the average high is 78°F.
- 2022 Thelma & Louise Half Marathon Overall Results
- 2020 Thelma & Louise Half Marathon Overall Results (Virtual)
- 2019 Thelma & Louise Half Marathon Overall Results
- 2018 Thelma & Louise Half Marathon Overall Results
- 2017 Thelma & Louise Half Marathon Overall Results
- 2016 Thelma & Louise Half Marathon Overall Results
- 2015 Thelma & Louise Half Marathon Overall Results
- 2014 Thelma & Louise Half Marathon Overall Results
- 2013 Thelma & Louise Half Marathon Overall Results
- 2012 Thelma & Louise Half Marathon Overall Results
- 6:30 AM – full marathon
- 7:30 AM – half marathon
- 8:00 AM – 15K
- $110 and up for the half marathon
- $130 and up for the full marathon
- $230 and up for the marathon relay (per team)
- price subject to increase as race day approaches
To reserve your spot in the late spring/early summer 2023 running of Moab’s Thelma & Louise Half Marathon, visit the event website below.
Official Race Website
Ever run in the Thelma & Louise Half Marathon? Share your impressions here, or post your review in the Comments box below.