Saturday, May 21, 2022 • Nashville, IN • Course Map
Known for its challenging hills and mountains, the backwoods of southern Indiana are the setting for this annual springtime race, which includes a full, 26.2-mile marathon and a 13.1-mile half marathon in addition to a 10K, 50K and 50-mile trail races through the hills near the unincorporated community of Gnaw Bone, which lies just a short drive from nearby Bloomington.
Like its counterpart races in the Dances With Dirt race series — which also includes Florida’s Dances With Dirt Green Swamp Marathon & Half Marathon — the Gnaw Bone races take runners over wild, untamed terrain here in this part of the southern Indiana wilderness, which also plays host each October to the “Hilly Hundred,” a cycling race that draws thousands of riders each year to its two 50-mile courses.
The course is filled with brush, trees and natural junk along the race route, as well as river and creek crossings.
Runners in the half marathon and the 10K start their race at Mike’s Music and Dance Barn on Highway 46. From there, the out-and-back loop course follows a winding route through the hills as it makes its way to other points like Hoosier’s Nest (just to the east), along the shoreline of Ogle Lake and then westward through the hills back to the finish line at Mike’s Dance Barn.
Runners need to arrive ready for a challenging trail race with plenty of uphill and downhill stretches through the woods, and need to be ready to get wet, depending on the weather conditions in the days and weeks leading up to the race, as the trails can be muddy and/or rocky and wet in spots.
Race Weather & Climate
Located just over five miles west of the southern Indiana community of Gnaw Bone, and about 19 miles east of Bloomington, the nearby town of Nashville typically experiences mild to moderately cool conditions in the mid-spring, and usually sees its wettest weather of the year during the month the race is held.
On race day (May 21), the average low is 51ºF and the average high is 73ºF.
- 2021 Dances With Dirt Gnaw Bone Half Marathon Results
- 2019 Dances With Dirt Gnaw Bone Half Marathon Results
- 2018 Dances With Dirt Gnaw Bone Half Marathon Results
- 2017 Dances With Dirt Gnaw Bone Half Marathon Results
- 2016 Dances With Dirt Gnaw Bone Half Marathon Results
- 2015 Dances With Dirt Gnaw Bone Half Marathon Results
- 2014 Dances With Dirt Gnaw Bone Half Marathon Results
- 2013 Dances With Dirt Gnaw Bone Half Marathon Results
- 2012 Dances With Dirt Gnaw Bone Half Marathon Results
- 2011 Dances With Dirt Gnaw Bone Half Marathon Results
- 6:15 AM – 50-mile, 50K
- 7:00 AM – full marathon
- 7:30 AM – relay
- 8:45 AM – half marathon
- 9:00 AM – 10K
- 9:30 AM – 5K
- $54 – $75 for the half marathon
- $39 – $50 for the 10K
- $64 – $90 for the full marathon
- $69 – $100 for the 50K
- $84 – $110 for the 50-Mile
- $350 – $450 for the relay
To reserve your spot in the the 2022 running of Gnaw Bone’s Dances With Dirt Marathon, Half Marathon, 10K, 50K or 50-mile race, visit the event website below.
Official Race Website
Ever run in the Dances With Dirt Half Marathon? Share your impressions here, or post your review in the Comments below.