Sunday, September 17, 2023 • Cape Girardeau, MO • Course Map
With a course that features both city streets and the running and biking paths along Cape Girardeau’s Cape LaCroix Creek bike trail, the City of Roses Half Marathon, 5K & Fun Run will mark its 43rd annual running this year.
Runners follow an out-and-back course at Cape Girardeau’s City of Roses Half Marathon, which starts and finishes at the Osage Centre in Osage Park, just off North Kingshighway Street.
From there, the course heads north along a series of county roads into the rural countryside just north of Cape Girardeau, with mostly flat terrain for the first few miles followed by a hillier stretch in the middle miles (6-9) of the race.
Both races (the half marathon and the 5K) are open to walkers as well as runners. In Sunday’s half marathon, walkers and non-competitive runners will be allowed to start 30 minutes before the official start time.
Here’s what the organizers say about the race weekend:
“This course takes you along a paved trail through residential Cape Girardeau and out into the beautiful country. The course is well supported with volunteers to keep you safe as you wind around, up and down paved roads, past horse farms, tree-filled woods and beautiful homes. You will loop back to the Osage Center to find a cheering crowd and lots of good food, water, Gatorade and locally brewed beer. There will be food trucks available in case you want to enjoy some brunch/lunch.
This race is in its 43rd year, and we couldn’t be happier to boast that we even ran the year of “C”. Water stops are available every 2 miles in the beginning, then every mile from mile 8 on. The Water Stops are manned by some really happy people, ready to encourage you on your journey. We offer an early start for those who feel they may take longer than 3 hours to complete the course.”
Race Weather & Climate
Nestled along a bend in the Mississippi River near Missouri’s southeastern corner, Cape Girardeau typically sees mild to moderately warm (and occasionally hot) weather conditions as summer is giving way to fall, and relatively even precipitation throughout the year, except for the spring, when rainfall is highest.
- Sept. 17 average low temp: 59ºF
- Sept. 17 average high temp: 79ºF
- 2021 City of Roses Half Marathon results
- 2020 City of Roses Half Marathon Results
- 2019 City of Roses Half Marathon Results
- 2018 City of Roses Half Marathon Results
- 2017 City of Roses Half Marathon Results
- 2016 City of Roses Half Marathon Results
- 2015 City of Roses Half Marathon Results
- 2014 City of Roses Half Marathon Results
- 2013 City of Roses Half Marathon Results
- 2012 City of Roses Half Marathon Results
- 2011 City of Roses Half Marathon Results
- 5K – 8:00 AM on Saturday, Sept. 17
- Half marathon – 7:00 AM on Sunday, Sept. 18
- $60 and up – half marathon
- $25 and up – 5K
To reserve your spot in the 2022 running of the City of Roses Half Marathon or 5K, register online at RunSignUp.com here.
Official Race Website
Ever run in the City of Roses Half Marathon? Share your impressions here, or post your review in the Comments below.